Friday, January 31, 2014

Why Does Murphy Get To Make The Laws?

Murphy's Law has ruled my world for the past week. If it could go wrong, it did. If I thought it couldn't go wrong, well, it did.

It started with me trying to find some quiet time to work. The only quiet time in my house is when everyone else is sleeping. I stayed up very late two nights in a row and knocked out a whole lot of work but I also managed to re-set my body clock. That is an easy thing to do with fibro considering that many of us find it difficult to fall asleep in the first place.

By the third night I was ready to sleep like a normal person. That didn't happen. Sleep flat out refused to visit me. The fourth day I was so exhausted, I decided to not even take a cat nap. That way I would just fall right to sleep that night. Mother nature had other plans. She brought in such a painful cold front that I didn't sleep the fifth day either. I finally gave in to an afternoon nap because by then I was so cranky, I couldn't stand to talk to me anymore - and that's saying something! But guess what happens when you take a late afternoon nap? Yup! No sleep that night either.

I finally broke out the sleeping pills that I am usually too afraid of to take. By then I was desperate. Those tiny little pills promise that if you will take just one for three to four nights in a row, you will re-set your body clock and go to sleep on a normal schedule. They lied.

An hour and a half after that first sleeping pill, I decided to count sheep but after a while, my sheep started dressing up in hats and pearls and wearing lipstick. Before long, they were break dancing and I thought it was so funny I laughed out loud and woke my husband. So I changed tactics. I visualized lying on a floating bed in the middle of the ocean just letting the waves rock me to sleep. Do you feel the warm breeze kissing your skin as your body rocks gently on the waves? Can you smell the salted air? Did you feel that? Ya, me too. Damn whale just spit water all over us! So I got up and swept the floors.

I took a nap this morning. It is now 4:02 A.M. and obviously I will not sleep tonight. Not sleeping at night directly affects how horribly Murphy and his stupid law will impact my days. So far this week I have gotten no work finished. Started, yes. Finished? Nope. The laundry is done and the house is clean but that's about it.

Instead, I have been trying to track down the current owners of a property that I want to buy but I keep hitting dead ends. I got into a very loud conversation with my doctor; a man whom I normally have nothing but praise for. My youngest child is doing her best this week to see just how far she can bend the rules before Mommy snaps and my wonderful husband seems to be going through a manstrual cycle that has my nerves twisted into a pretzel. I have a list of work to start and finish that is literally as long as my arm and it all hinges on whether or not my body will finally give in to sleep and release me from Mr. Murphy.

Guess what just happened? My browser suddenly stopped working and closed the page while I was typing. I was so relieved to find that blogger did its job and automatically saved this to draft. I do believe that it is time to have a knock down, drag out with Mr. Murphy and I had better go do it now before his stupid law closes the page again.

In the end, all any of us can really do is smile and get through the day. I will get the work finished and eventually, I will go to sleep for an entire week. I love you guys! Do your best to avoid Mr. Murphy. He's got a strange sense of humor.



2 comments:

  1. Love this, Rebecca! And, I hope you start sleeping at night again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Murphy has gotten the best of me for yet another week but I am determined to bounce back. :) I hope I start sleeping at night again too! I miss real sleep.

      Delete