Friday, March 15, 2013

I don't think I introduced myself, did I?

It dawned on me tonight that I never did introduce myself to you. What a dork! My apologies!
My name is Rebecca. I am 40 years old. No last name because I like the illusion of online privacy at least to a small degree. I have lived in Tennessee for close to 8 years now, before then I lived in Oklahoma with my husband of nearly 20 years and our three children. I have a son who is 20, a daughter who is 18 and my baby girl who is 14.
I also have 2 very large dogs, a good Pyrenees (She's not a Great Pyrenees because she is half red healer) and a Pitt Bull/Husky mix whom I think would be my husband if he were human because we adore each other. :)
Brace yourself; I have 6 cats. Not my fault. One, who is 17- he's a ragamuffin. The other five are outside kitties. You see, we live out in the country on 6.5 acres and people really believe if they dump their unwanted pets out here, some nice farmer will take them in. That is not always the case. Sometimes by the time I find them, it is too late and that both breaks my heart and pisses me off.
 The kitties that we have found their way here and what am I gonna do? I can't let them starve! I can't take them to the humane society either because ours is a three day kill shelter. I do not want to be responsible for taking a life. So I feed them and they keep showing up. The latest one is a gorgeous Siamese female who is pregnant and won't let me touch her. Maybe someday she'll trust that if I'm going to feed her, I'm not going to hurt her. I'll give her time.
I am opinionated and I have a big mouth. Just a fact that I accept about myself. I do not try to be ugly to people but I have been told repeatedly since I was a child that I am brutally honest. That confuses me because I don't think there is anything brutal about honesty. I don't like to dance around a subject or sugar coat things because when you do that, people tend to miss the point. I am not politically correct because I think it's dumb to be offended so easily. Truth is truth. Sometimes truth is hard to hear and sometimes truth is enlightening and informative. We can't obtain knowledge from lies and sugar coated truth. So I prefer pure truth.
I don't know everything. Not by a long shot but for my entire life, I have been so hungry for knowledge. I have always wanted to know the who, what , when, where, why and how of just about everything. There is just so much to learn! It's my drug.
When I was a child, my Mother had her children tested. My I.Q. was high back then. It is supposed to diminish as we get older but mine did not. It grew. Sir Isaac Newton and I have the same I.Q. as of two years ago and it isn't because I am so much smarter than anyone else. It is because I am such a curious person. I just want to learn!
I have taught myself to knit, crochet, paint, sculpt, make jewelry, gourmet cook, remodel houses, re purpose furniture, garden and now I'm learning how to farm. I LOVE to create things from scraps!
I am learning all about heirloom seeds and how to collect them from the fruit or veggie, how to store them and start them for the next planting. I am also learning all about cattle and milking goats and making cheese and butter and canning and preserving.
I am big into nutrition because after my heart attack I knew it was time to change course. I want to spoil my grand babies some day!
I am a documentary buff and if my nose isn't buried in a book, I am looking up information online. I love to share that information too. If someone wants to learn something and they come to me, I am so happy to help them learn. It really gives me joy to see someone understand something new and use that information to make a small part of their life better.
I have a heart for the outcasts in this world. People are misunderstood sometimes and those people - teenagers mostly, end up at my house. I feed them, listen to them, offer advice and let them know that once they walk through my front door I am responsible for them and they will obey the rules of my home. No child will leave my home hungry or feeling misunderstood. I know what those things feel like. I was a very misunderstood child. Alot of the kids who come through my door don't have parents that care much about them and it is just heartbreaking.
I am a firm believer in God and Jesus Christ. You can't put me in a box where religion is concerned. I'm not Protestant or Baptist or Catholic or whatever. I am a Christian. Simply put, I believe the Bible and follow it to the best of my ability.
Sometimes, I'm hard to get to know because I tend to sit back and watch a person's actions before deciding if they would be a real friend. But once you get to know me, you find that I have a dry sense of humor and am loyal to a fault. If I consider you my friend, there isn't much I wouldn't do for you.
I'm also a pain in the butt. I have fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain and in the mornings I am completely useless and sometimes down right mean before I have enough coffee in my system.
 If you make the mistake of hurting one of my children or a child - or anyone for that matter who is defenseless I will do my best to end you. My temper, in those situations even scares me sometimes.
So, I'm no where near perfect but I do my best to be a good person. I am at a point in my life where I know me well and I like me.
I do want to get to know you. I will share things I have learned and if there is something you want to learn I will be happy to help you. Most of all, I want you to know who you are and like yourself.
So that's me. Now I have introduced myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment