Friday, March 1, 2013

Boy! What A Day!

There were so many things that went through my head today to include in this post. I am interested in so many different subjects and I am studying so many different things that I want to tell people about. Alas, I couldn't pick a topic. So we'll just run with it tonight and see where it goes.
This morning I read an article about a new filler that beef producers are using to bulk up their cattle a few weeks before sending them to market. Apparently Merck invented a new drug that they intended to use for the treatment of asthma until the FDA deemed it unsafe for humans. One side effect of the drug was that it turned fat into muscle at an alarming rate. Not just any kind of muscle either. The muscles were deformed.
But not wanting to lose money on the project, they decided to use it in beef production and now, by the time the cattle are butchered, they no longer look like a normal bull. One man in the article proudly proclaimed, "Look there! It doesn't even look like a Holstein anymore!" Four major beef producers are now using this drug as a filler in cattle feed and let me tell you, it scares the crap out of me.
GM foods, which we eat everyday, have been banned in several countries. They are known carcinogens and as a result, all cancers are on the rise.
Growth hormones and antibiotics in our meat and milk are affecting how our children grow. Take my daughters for example; they started their menstrual cycles at 11 years old. 50 years ago, most girls didn't start until 14 or 15.  Both of my girls are very large chested and that too, developed at 12 and 13 years old. My youngest walks into a room 30 seconds after her chest does! Not only the physical changes that we see with our eyes but the physical changes that cause my youngest child pain. She has grown in height so much, so fast, her bones hurt her on a nightly basis. Yes, I know, kids have growing pains. But do those growing pains need to be so severe that they bring our children to tears?
The chemicals that are in our food and water, though there to increase production and shelf life are doing us harm.
One study that I recently read said that this will be the first generation to die before their parents because of what we are eating. Now we have a brand new chemical to worry about. What will the long term effects of this stuff be? Will we start growing muscles in odd places? Will we start seeing new deformities in future babies? I'm afraid we will.
CLEAN EATING is my solution. I all ready firmly believe that autoimmune diseases like the two that I have, have everything to do with nutrition. I am planning my garden and greenhouse as we speak. We are clearing part of our land to raise our own grass fed beef and pork and my husband is building our chicken coop.
This is in no way meant to be a 'sky is falling' sort of post. I believe that we can eat very healthy AND keep the budget on track and as we build up the farm that we have always dreamed of, I will keep you posted every step of the way with frugal ideas and tips and tricks, as well as planting ideas and useful information that I learn along the way.
If you ever intended to do the same, now is the time. Heirloom seeds are becomings more difficult to find. There are  ways to live and eat healthy whether you grow your own food or purchase from someone who does.
Don't worry, I'm not going to go off the deep end and start making my own tampons like some of the homesteading sites that I have read. Eeww! I am hoping though, that we can learn how to be self sufficient and I really want to see what the effect of heirloom foods and clean beef will have on my fibromyalgia and CMP. We'll find out!
I would really love any advice that any of you gardeners and farmers have for me. I'll take all the help I can get!
May everyone have a great night and I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment