Friday, March 28, 2014

What Is A Christian?

Today has been a tough one. I received some news that set me back on my heels and while I knew it was going to come eventually, I was unprepared for how hard and how fast it hit. I did what I always do. I ran to God.

I have been talking to God since I was seven years old. I am long past the point that I mistake His voice for the chatter in my own head. You talk to someone long enough, you know when they are speaking back to you. I can honestly say that I am not a typical Christian. I disregard the rules that men have put in place over the centuries in order to gain more power and keep the people in line with what they want religion to look like at any given time. Those rules change constantly depending on who ever is in power at the moment. I completely ignore the opinions that are spouted from the pulpit if that opinion can not be backed up by the word of God. If any of us are honest even the tiniest bit, you have to read much more than the Bible in order to get the full scope of what God wanted us to know. The Catholics corrupted The Word. Nero corrupted The Word. The Romans and even the Christians have all had a part in corrupting what we were meant to understand. So now, If you truly want to know The Word, you not only have to study the Bible but also The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Apocrypha, The Codex and the independent writings of the Apostles just to name a few and you must do it in their original languages because everything loses vital meaning in translation.

All of this study, which I find immensely interesting, just boils down to one thing. LOVE. Gods laws are written on every person's heart. Love is what He wants from us. To love Him and to love each other. It's too bad that we don't get to see much of that anymore.

There is a big, fat difference between being a religious person and being a Christian. I hate religion with a neon purple passion. Religious people think that if they show up at church and look pious and follow the rules that men have set forth, then it is perfectly acceptable to be judgmental of another person for whatever reason they feel like, all the while smiling to your face, hugging your neck and then whispering behind your back. God bless them in their stupidity. They sorely need it.

 I feel sorry for religious people because they believe every word a Pastor says without searching it out for themselves. Pastors are human beings and many of them make mistakes. That is understandable, but to not find out the truth for yourself doesn't make it the Pastor's fault when you screw up majorly because you didn't educate yourself.

I say all of this for a very good reason. The news that knocked me backward today was about my health. I am now facing a major battle because when I was a child, the people around me who claimed to be Christians, damaged my body in ways that now only God can heal. These are people who were not really Christians. They just claimed the title. What they actually were was religious. Fake Christians. A Deacon of the church who was a major player in the KKK. A group of relatives who were at every church function and put on 'the perfect family' act for the other religious people but behind closed doors did and allowed to be done unspeakable things to us -the children. Those people are still in the church and yet they encourage suicide to any young adult in the family who does not present 'the perfect family' act to the rest of the religious idiots. The message sent out is "If you don't live like us, then maybe you should think about not living anymore because we don't want people to think badly of the family. We have an image to maintain."

This evening, I read a post on facebook from someone who said that they had stopped listening to a certain Pastor after he had said that gay people go to Heaven. Religion is exactly what I saw in that judgmental statement. In no part of Gods word does it say that gay people go to Hell. In fact, The Bible clearly states that there is but ONE unforgivable sin and none of us are capable of committing that sin yet. Religion is a funny, judgmental, hateful thing and I truly despise it. You can not have too many blessings in the form of money or nice cars or clothing or you must somehow be corrupt nor can you have too little or you must have committed some sin that is impeding your blessings. You must be just like every other religious person to be a 'Christian'.

But a real Christian thinks for themselves. That person seeks out Gods word and asks for Gods help in gleaning understanding. A true Christian will see the sin and pray for the sinner privately rather than gossiping about that person. They do good for others without shouting it out for the world to hear so others will praise them for their goodness. A true Christian loves honestly and helps quietly. They take no pleasure in making others feel small because they prefer to offer a hand to help that person back to their feet.

Today, after realizing the full effect of what religious people have done to me, I confronted each and every one of them and proceeded to purge every religious person from my life. That meant that all but two members of my extended family had to go. Permanently. I'm ok with that.

I don't know what God's plan is for me but I do know that it does not include religion. I am a daughter of The King. I deserve better than religion and the damage it brings. I am not perfect but each new day, I do my best to be better than the day before and I do nothing without my Father. I am a Christian. I follow Christ. That's the difference.

6 comments:

  1. Bless you for this. You put into words so many things I have thought and felt since I was a young child.
    I learned to read from the Angels.
    I survived my childhood because of Abba.
    I once asked for a sign from God, I asked in extreme faith and I believed with all my heart and God delivered me. I gave birth to a son and I saw God within him. I cannot abide religion and most religious people. The worst kind of hypocrisy.
    I knew there were reasons we were drawn to each other and forging a friendship. This piece of writing is one of those reason. Bless you, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You, Summer. I am honored that you feel that way about our friendship. I have watched religion disguised as Christianity my entire life and it's an awful, hurtful thing. I wrote this from a place of pain but after writing it, I started too feel just a little better because in the writing, I can clearly see what separates me from what I grew up in and let it go. God never said that being His child would be easy but He did say it would be worth it. He was right. I'm grateful He put us in each other's path. I for one, have been blessed by knowing you. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Summer ♥
    This was a great for me too. The hypocrisy I saw as a child made me question everything about the Christian claims and lifestyle. Then I saw those who live a life motivated by love rather than fear and I too began to understand the difference between Christianity and religion.
    I and other friends have also found ourselves without family due to the choice to remain genuine. I'd rather no family that one that is religious. Unlike the author though, I failed to choose an active Christian face because time and again I discovered myself in the presence of charlatans. I ran and stay running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saskia,
      I am sorry for the late reply. I needed to take a few days to absorb what my doctors had told me. I needed a minute to feel sorry for myself and then start to pick myself back up. It is never going to be an easy thing to be genuine in the presence of those who believe that religion is right for everyone. It has never been easy for me, but I am grateful that I can talk straight to God without worrying that I'm not praying the right way. He knows me. He all ready knows what I need to talk about and I take a great deal of comfort in knowing that He is never too busy to talk to me. I hope that you can stop running. It isn't always going to happen but I have seen charlatans decide to be genuine because they realized that being true to their selves was better than going through the motions of religion.
      I am sorry that you lost your family too. It's a hard thing to deal with. For me, it's the best thing that I can do for myself right now. I am glad that you decided to just be you. I wish you all the happiness in the world!

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't go as far as to say religion is a "hurtful, awful thing." But I understand where you're coming from. Since I accepted Christ in 1999, some of the meanest, nastiest, most hypocritical people I've met have called themselves Christians. For a long time, I was disappointed with God. Then I read a brilliant book called, appropriately enough, "Disappointment with God," by Philip Yancey. He writes, "The church's obvious defects would seem to be the greatest cost to God. Just as he committed his name to the nation Israel and had it dragged through mud, he now commmits his Spirit to flawed human beings. ... The church does not measure up to God's ideal. And the watching world judges God by those who carry His name. A large measure of disappointment with God stems from disillusionment with Christians." That was it! I wasn't disappointed with God at all. It was the crappy Christians I kept running into. You can read some of it on Google Books. I'd highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rick! I will read it. You hit the nail on the head! God was never one of those that hurt me. It was those who claimed they were Christians but really had no understanding of the Word.
      Religion is not a hurtful, awful thing for millions of people but for me it has been. Maybe it needed to be so that I would find my way. I don't know. I do know that had I stayed involved with religion then I couldn't live from a place of love and that is where I am happiest. I think I'll stay here. :) Thank you for telling me about Philip Yancey's book. I'm off to Amazon to find it.

      Delete