Sunday, April 7, 2013

Learning To Duck

This past month I was thrown another curve ball. You'd think I'd learn to duck once in a while. This one came from left field and I didn't see it coming. I didn't even expect it. So it knocked me down and I decided to stay there for a while. By myself. I didn't want my friends around. Obviously I can't escape my husband but I haven't said anything to our children and I don't intend to.
Sometimes, when you get knocked off your feet, it feels good to just lay there for a while looking up at the sky and saying 'Enough. I'm done.' That is exactly what I have been doing. Just hanging around in the dirt, wanting to be left alone while I feel sorry for myself.
A few weeks ago, my doctor told me that my cmp has progressed faster than he thought it would. There is nothing that can be done about it. There is no treatment because myofascia has it's own nervous system and it is not fully understood but what is understood is that when the damage is severe enough, it not only does not heal but when you add fibro to it - with fibro doing it's daily damage - the myofascia damage spreads. It is spreading faster than we thought it would and he said something to me that turned out to be a fast curve from left field. 'You may as well get used to the idea that you are disabled and it will only progress as you get older.' BAM! He said I am disabled.
Other people have said that word to me before and I politely ignored them because I AM NOT DAMNIT! But when my doctor, who has been a great doctor to me, said that word and used it in a way that he was trying to convey to me that it is time to accept the inevitable, well, I like looking up at the sky for now.
At first, I felt sorry for myself. I know there are a lot of things that I could do a year ago but no longer have the strength to do but I am determined to regain that strength if I have to spend two hours a day in the gym. I am only 40 years old for crying out loud!
Then I got angry and started looking for someone to blame. I took a hell of a lot of beatings as a child and that is what damaged my myofascia in the first place. The Fibro was passed down the line from my Grandmother to my Mother to me and I pray often that I did not pass it to my daughters.
It wasn't long before I realized that I can't change the past and this is just something I have to face now, so I decided to face it alone. I didn't want my friends pitying me or telling me it would all be ok because I hate pity and it is not going to be ok. I am not ok with it at all.
I am now at a place of tenuous acceptance. I accept that I have these two autoimmune diseases. I accept that there is no conventional cure. I do not accept that there is nothing I can do about it and I do not accept that I am disabled. There are still plenty of things that I can do and I will do whatever it takes to regain some of what I have lost.
First I need to get my happy back. I need to start doing the things that I love again, so tomorrow I'm going to do just that. Mostly though, I have to get rid of this anger. I am still angry that my Mothers' poor choices in husbands has had life long effects for me. It can't be changed, I know, but it still makes me angry and that makes me hard to be around right now. I don't like how I have been feeling. It's toxic and it has to stop. Enough is enough.
I guess sometimes, your past really does come back to bite you. You just have to learn to let it go and that is the hard part. I think it's time to open the door and let the people I love back in instead of pushing them away. Maybe we are not meant to deal with the really hard stuff all alone.
Tomorrow, I'm closing the door to the anger and self pity and opening it to happiness and forgiveness. Maybe that is how we  learn to duck those curve balls. Through the joy of those that God has placed in our lives. The sky is pretty but the ground is too hard to stay down for too long.

3 comments:

  1. First off I would like to say that your friends woudn't have pittyed you they would have stood be side you, second I am sorry, and no 'mam that's not a pitty sorry it's a sorry that you have had to go thru and will have to go thru bad times. Thou the disabled word is most definetly one that is hard to swallow it doesn't have to define you. I was told not far into my adult life that I was looking at being disabled which I had two small children and that was not what I needed to hear and although it has been one seriously long road and a hard one I try hard to not let it be what defines me, after all I am still alive I have wonderful children and although I have missed out on doing alot of stuff with them that I looked forward to doing then and now because of my disabilities I get to enjoy watching them enjoy life, and I try (although not always successful) to keep going you just have to take the bad days for what they are bad days, so keep your head up you are strong and so much more then a diagnosis from a doctor ... you got this girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know that some of my friends, you included, get it but you're right. It's a hard pill to swallow. I hear that word and I think wheel chairs and a life full of not being able to do what I want to do. Then to have that word glued to me, well, it's more than I am prepared to accept.
      I'm just angry about the whole thing. Start to finish. I'll accept it eventually. Maybe. who am I kidding..probably not but you're right, I have to keep going. I love my babies and I hate telling them 'Don't hug Mama so tight. It hurts.' I really thought I would find some way to beat this thing. Maybe I still will. Right after I get up again. I love you girl.

      Delete