Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dr. Seuss

Today has been one of those days. It is cold and rainy and the woods are covered in a low floating mist. It's pretty and creepy at the same time.
I have spent the day organizing everything my daughter needs to send in her enormous amount of scholarship and grant applications. No small task. She has applied for everything she can get her hands on. Each one has different requirements. I don't know how she does it all with the extra classes she is taking, all of the clubs and her volunteer work. She has amazing organizational skills. She must have been switched at birth.
My husband had the day off. Ya know, as much as I am happy that he has a day to rest, I am equally annoyed that for some reason there seems to be an expectation that it is my job to keep him entertained. Today I decided it reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book.
Tell me what you want to do.
Take a ride and buy some shoes?
Do you want to drive real far?
Do you want to clean the car?
Should we go out here or there?
What do you mean, not anywhere?

I do not want to clean the car or buy some shoes or drive real far.
I will not go out here or there. I will not go out anywhere.
Sweetheart, this is getting old. My fibro hurts. It's way too cold.
So if you want to go outside, just bundle up or freeze your hide.

Yes people, this is how my mind works.
So I sent him out to run his errands all by his big boy self today. In the meantime, I cleaned the house, organized my daughter's endless scholarships and grants and cooked dinner and finished the laundry. He gets the day off. His name is not Mom. That would be me.
He is a pretty understanding guy. He knows me well enough to know that I was not being mean. It is a bad day for fibromyalgia. The cold and I are mortal enemies and while I know that if I did want to go with him today, he would have sweated himself right out of the car to keep me warm, I just needed to stay in today.
Weather plays a major role in my life. Too hot, too cold, too humid, a storm moving in, the barometric pressure rises or falls, heck...the wind blows the wrong direction and fibro suddenly grows teeth. It sucks.
I have a theory that GM foods and meat and milk that are pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics, not to mention what is in our water all have played a role in autoimmune diseases.
To test my theory, my husband is building a greenhouse for me so that I can grow heirloom veggies and fruits and see if eating those unaltered foods helps to improve my pain levels.
He is also planning on raising our own beef and chicken without all of the hormones and antibiotics. He is starting our new chicken coop this week.
We have raised chickens before. It takes 14 - 18 months to raise a chick from hatchling to fully mature meat bird. Do you know how long it takes to raise the chicken that you buy in the store? 28 days. Yes, you read that right. 28 days. All thanks to growth hormones. That just can't be good for you!
I have done countless hours of research on the food - autoimmune disease connection and I am convinced that if I want to feel better at all, I have to take matters into my own hands. I am fortunate enough to have a like-minded husband. Even if the heavy lifting falls to him.
So while the weather outside is frightful, I think I will work for a while longer tonight and crawl in bed early.
I hope all of you have a safe, warm, happy evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment