Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Polymer, Pinning and Pinterest

Change comes slowly. I would prefer that once I make my mind up to change something that it would happen quickly but forming new habits is not always an easy thing to do. It takes time. It takes even more time when your body is throwing a tantrum and refuses to cooperate.

In doing this Pinterest Challenge, I have decided that I love yoga and I love the new cleaning schedule, although it does need some tweaking. But I am not a fan of putting on make-up and trying a new hair style every single day. I like it once it is done. I just don't like doing it. My family likes it but I had to ask myself, 'Am I doing this for them or am I doing this for me?' Me won this time. The hair and make-up routine has been cut back to three to four days a week. I enjoy learning how to do new things with hair and make-up but if fibro is throwing a tantrum, I see no real benefit to standing in the bathroom fighting with my hair.

I feel a little guilty that my dining room table is littered with craft supplies for the various projects that I have been doing but there is good in that also. I am now getting quality time with my youngest daughter, who it turns out is quite the artist! She has fallen in love with polymer clay, paint and jewelry findings. She made her own necklace this week. It is a tiny dahlia flower mounted on a one inch square tile that she also made out of polymer clay. Before it went in the oven, I put holes large enough for jump rings through two of the petals so that she could put a chain on it after it was baked and painted. She normally will not wear jewelry. She isn't a girly girl but she will wear her new necklace because she made it herself and no one else in the world has one like it.

Sitting over piles of clay with her, teaching her, talking and laughing with her has been wonderful. She is an amazing young lady with a sarcastic streak that had tears rolling down my face from laughter. She is one of those teenagers that really didn't want to spend time with Mom -until now. If I had not taken on the challenge, I would have missed that.

I won't claim that everything is coming up roses. Chronic pain gets in the way of a lot of things and sometimes it seems like the moment I have a handle on the pain, some cosmic joker throws a cold front my way just to mess with me. That is when everything comes to a screeching halt until I can get my body back under control. It's just life. It isn't always pretty and rarely painless but it is beautiful.

This week I will be trying some of the new recipes that I have been pinning. It's cold so I'm thinking we'll start with the crockpot meals. I like those. No fuss meals are always my favorite as long as they are healthy.

When my daughter and I are finished with our current projects (they have to be baked again) I will post them here along with some other projects that I have been doing. I think that art and yoga have been my favorite parts of this challenge so far.

Even if you are not participating in The Pinterest Challenge, find something new to try this week. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried something new. If it does work out and you find something that you love or just makes your life easier, then let us know! It is never too late to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment